"Act justly, Love mercy, Walk humbly. -Micah 6:8

The deep desire of my heart is to show people the love of Christ! His love is not religion...it is about a deep relationship that provides grace, mercy and hope for life.
My prayer is that this world would be changed by His love...one person at a time!

Oh how He loves you and me!!!


" If you judge people you have not time to love them." -Mother Teresa

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Facebook Envy

A couple days ago I was talking to a friend from work and she was telling me that sometimes it is hard for her to look at Facebook because everyone's life seems so perfect...
She said she just wished that sometimes people would just be honest about life and not paint a pretty picture to make people think that they have everything together.
 
When she said that I could definitely understand what she was talking about.
If I am really honest with everyone that reads this...I know there are times when I have scrolled my news feed and read a status or looked at a picture of a friend and found myself envying something in their post.
You see a picture perfect family and you wish you had what they had...
You see someone who just successfully lost ten pounds during the Thanksgiving break...and you gained ten pounds eating all that pie...
You read about someones child that is so sweet and seemingly perfect...and you recall the afternoon trip to the grocery store when your little one had a melt down in the check out line...
You read about someones amazing relationship...
You see pictures of family vacations....
You see that girl...in that amazing outfit...and that amazing smile....and that amazing life...
Social media definitely helps us to paint a pretty picture of our lives.
The funny thing is that even though we paint this pretty picture...nobody has the perfect life.
We all have challenges, battles and difficulties that nobody really knows about.
But...we still look at the pictures and we read the status updates and we find ourselves envying our friends.
We lose sight of the blessings we have in our own lives.
I know that I have done this in the past. I will be the first to admit this!
I used to see pictures of babies and families...and I would get jealous that I didn't have that yet. Of course I was happy for my friends...but jealousy or envy would creep into my mind.
This morning at church our Sunday School lesson was on envy.
In James 3:13-18 it says that, " Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in meekness of wisdom. But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in our hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth. This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice. But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere. And a harvest of righteousness sown in peace by those who make peace."
 
 I love this passage in James because it challenges me!!
I struggle with envy and jealously. If I said I didn't I would be lying.
We all struggle here and God knows that about us.
What James is telling us here is that there is a way out! We don't have to be stuck in jealously and envy.
As we daily seek out the Lord's wisdom and direction in His word we will be able to fight the battles of envy, jealously, pride and any other battle you are facing.
You can win this battle and start to be happy for what others have instead of being jealous.
 
Is this a struggle in your life?
Do you find yourself feeling jealous or envious of what someone else has?
 
I want to challenge you to take one day and only focus on the blessings in your life. If you have to stay off social media for that day then do it for your heart and mind. As you begin to shift your perspective and see all that God has given you it will help to combat those feelings.
Spend a day just thanking God for what you have and see how your heart and mind will begin to change!
 
 
Oh how He loves you and me!!!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment