"Act justly, Love mercy, Walk humbly. -Micah 6:8

The deep desire of my heart is to show people the love of Christ! His love is not religion...it is about a deep relationship that provides grace, mercy and hope for life.
My prayer is that this world would be changed by His love...one person at a time!

Oh how He loves you and me!!!


" If you judge people you have not time to love them." -Mother Teresa

Monday, April 25, 2011

I aint got no satisfaction...when I "satisfy the crowd"

Easter is one of my favorite days of the year!

It's a beautiful day that brings hundreds of people to church who don't regularly go; and it is more importantly the day that reminds us that we are free because of Christ's sacrifice on the cross.

Every year I read the story of Christ's crusifixion and pray that the Holy Spirit would reveal something new to me through the story. I also try to watch the Passion of the Christ each year.(it almost makes my skin crawl each time...but I force myself to watch it anyways)

Of course I always get very emotional as I read the story and I am reminded of what He went through for someone like me...

I am humbled to the point of weeping as I watch Him scourged for my sins...

A wide array of emotions flood my spirit as I replay His sacrifice for me; and I find myself broken and unspeakably thankful for His gift.

As I take time to dive into the story in the Scriptures I come to appreciate the power of the Holy Spirit to lead me and teach me new things from scriptures that I have read several times.
This year as I was reading in Mark 15, I came across a verse that I have read many times, but have never paid close attention to until now.

It says, " So Pilate, wishing to satisfy the crowd, released for them Barabbas, and having scourged Jesus, he delivered Him to be crusified."(vs.15)

The key words that jumped out at me were,
"wishing to satisfy the crowd".

As I read those words my heart began to ache.
You see, it was in those words that I began to see myself!

I have always thought of Pilate as an evil and hateful man who was unwilling to save my Jesus from death on a cross.
I have detested his actions and have held him more accountable for the death of Christ than any other character in the story.
I mean, I know that all of this was a part of God's plan...but I couldn't help but wish and hope every time I heard the story that somehow Pilate would not give in to the crowd!
As I read the story this Easter I began to see Pilate from a different perspective.
Now do not hear me say that I think he was right! I am not agreeing with him! What I am trying to bring light to is his need to "satisfy the crowd".
Those words were like arrows to my heart!
You see, so many times in my lilfe I have done the same thing to Jesus. I hopes to please my peers, employers, or even my family, I have turned my back on Christ and chosen my to please the crowd instead of choosing Him.
People pleasing can come in many forms.
Such as:
Not standing up for what is right because you are worried what people think...
Not taking a step out in faith because you are worried what people will say...
Not dressing modestly because you are worried people will think you are too rigid...
Not sharing Christ with people because you fear rejection...
Not staying pure in relationships because you are afraid of losing the person...

These are just a few examples of ways that we choose to please the crowd over simply choosing Him.
None of these can come close to comparing with what Pilate did to please the crowd; but I believe that we can use this example to remind us how damaging it can be to us when we seek to please the opinions of others.

It is not always easy to make the right decision. In fact, no matter how good your intentions or how hard you try, there still might be times when you choose the crowd over Jesus.
HOWEVER....
the most beautiful thing about our Savior is that He loves us anyways!
When Pilate washed his hands of Christ and sent Him to His death - Jesus loved anyways.
When Peter denied Him-Jesus died for him anyways.
When Judas betrayed Him with a kiss - Jesus forgave him anyways.

I challenge each of you to look at the areas in your life where you are seeking the approval of men and ask yourselves if it's more important than Christ's sacrifice...

Wherever you are at in your walk with the Lord know that He understands and lovingly waits for all of your heart.
He is patient...
He is kind...
and there is nothing He wouldn't give up for you!

Today, make the choice to quiet the crowd around you, and He will be all you need to satisfy your soul!

Oh how He loves you and me!!!

1 comment: