"Act justly, Love mercy, Walk humbly. -Micah 6:8

The deep desire of my heart is to show people the love of Christ! His love is not religion...it is about a deep relationship that provides grace, mercy and hope for life.
My prayer is that this world would be changed by His love...one person at a time!

Oh how He loves you and me!!!


" If you judge people you have not time to love them." -Mother Teresa

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

you can float like a butterfly but sometimes you gotta sting like a bee

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

...and again I say......OUCH!!!!!!!!

I'm hurt! (picture me laying down acting very dramatic...acting like I am in severe pain. just kidding...but if you know me, you know that I would seriously do that :)

Don't worry it's not physical pain...... it's just my pride. (honestly though I think I would prefer physical pain sometimes than to have my pride stomped on)

I mean, it stinks when our pride gets bruised or beaten up. Especially when we aren't expecting it to happen.

That's what happened to me last night.

I was going along...enjoying life...thinking I was living in ways that would honor the Lord...when BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was hit unexpectedly by the sharp words of a dear friend.

The words cut deep to my heart because they dealt with issues that had to do with my character and morals.
The words of instruction and direction from my friend came out of left field!
I remember, after being confronted, my first thought was, "yeah right...you don't know my heart".
Then....my thought process turned to , "how dare you??????!!!!"
...and then..."WHATEVER....LEAVE ME ALONE...I DON"T NEED YOU TO TELL ME WHAT TO DO!!!" (as you can tell I was getting really worked up)

While I was thinking,my friend continued to speak calmly and lovingly to me about the issues that he felt needed to be addressed in my life.(I have to admit I was a little frustrated so it felt like he was hurling word bombs 100 miles an hour at my soul when in fact he was being very patient)
He didn't hold back from sharing things that might be uncomfortable for me to hear because he knew that even though it was uncomfortable for me, it was his job as a believer to share the TRUTH.

In my head I knew that he was telling me these things because he cared about me, but my pride started rise up inside of me and began to cloud my view of what he and the Lord were trying to do through this conversation.

My pride started to get the better of me and I began to get very uncomfortable. This caused me to start making facial expressions that obviously showed my frustration(awkaward moment) I know this because my friend stopped talking and suggested that we just pray together.
I was in such a shock that I honestly felt almost too embarrassed to pray.
Of course... I allowed him to pray over me, but again my pride did not want to allow my spirit to be softened.
I did not want to admit that he was right about where I was wrong.
I did not want to think that I could be doing something to make someone else stumble...
I was ashamed that I was unable to see this on my own.

But instead of seeing this as an opportunity for growth...I allowed my stinkin pride to get in the way!

I sat there listening to my friend share with me that all believers have a responsibility to go to their brothers and sistesr in Christ and lovingly remind them of God's TRUTHS.
He was not judgemental...
He was not harsh...
In fact, hours after our conversation was over I began to realize that the only person casting judgement during the conversation was me towards him.(GULP)
I was frustrated that he felt he could come to me and tell me that I was wrong.
The truth is that my friend never actually came out and told me that I was wrong. He just brought the TRUTHS before me and allowed the Spirit to do the rest.

The rest of that night I spent time alone evaluating my heart.

My friend reminded me of a verse in Proverbs 27 that says, "Faithful are the wounds of a friend;profuse are the kisses of an enemy."

The idea behind this verse is that our true friends will come to us and share truths, even if it hurts!

Sometimes as believers we can get stagnant in our walk with the Lord.
It might even be that we are fire for the Lord, but there are just a few things that need some fine tuning.
Thankfully, God gave me some great friends who are willing to confront me...even when its not easy.

I was reminded by my friend last night that its okay to float around like a butterfly at times; but we have to remember that if we love someone and are truly lloking out for their best interst, we have to be willing at times to sting like a bee.

Is there anyone in you life right now that you need to talk to?
Is there someone you love that could use a little direction?

Take it from me it will not be easy for them to hear;however, if you go to them in love and speak TRUTH...God will do the heart work!

OH how He loves you and me!

No comments:

Post a Comment