"Act justly, Love mercy, Walk humbly. -Micah 6:8

The deep desire of my heart is to show people the love of Christ! His love is not religion...it is about a deep relationship that provides grace, mercy and hope for life.
My prayer is that this world would be changed by His love...one person at a time!

Oh how He loves you and me!!!


" If you judge people you have not time to love them." -Mother Teresa

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Love Is A Gift

 This is a picture of me and my sweet Mama L!

I have been living with her for 6 months now while I finish school, and it has been the most precious gift from God.
When I moved in part of the deal was that I would help her out for two weekends a month.
This consisted of staying at home Friday night through Monday morning to make sure that all of her needs were met, and that she would have someone to take her to church on Sundays.
I was excited/nervous about the opportunity to help.

Since moving in I have been blessed beyond anything I could even dream up or imagine.

Lorlene Patterson(mama L) is 87 years young. She is the mother of three wonderful children, who all have beautiful families. Her husband passed away several years ago, but she still talks about him daily and even sits in his chair in the garage about once a day and reflects on the past.(its a beautiful thing to see)
She has a lovely home, but spends most of her day sitting in a small room in the far corner of her house, where she watches FOX News all day.
She also has a large window in that room that allows her to look out at a beautiful pond.
Every day for the last six months I have come down my steps out of my room to find her sitting alone in perfect contentment.

This vision of contentment has really taught me a lot about my own life.

I have been in a season of constant "GO GO GO" lately. (I think most of us are there)
God knew that with all that I was going through that I would need gentle reminders to stop and pay attention to the small things.
I have come to really love and appreciate the small things because of my time with Mama.
I would like to share some of the things that she has taught me...just by being who she is.

Every day she spends time talking about her loved ones. She talks about her grandchildren and her children like they are the most precious things in her life. She shows me pictures constantly and I love every minute of it because I can see how much joy it brings her. Talking about family might seem like a small thing, but as I listen to her I am reminded of how important it is to invest moments into the lives of the ones we love. I sometimes find myself crying as listen to her funny stories and treasured memories, but I relish every ounce of happiness that it brings her! One of the most beautiful things to see is how her face lights up when she knows that someone in her family is coming to see her. You would think that a movie star was coming...but to her they are far greater than any movie star!

Laughter is a daily activity with mama. She always finds a way to make me laugh, smile and forget about the craziness of my life. I could be having the worst day and I will come in, lay my head down on the table and she will say some random comment and I can't help but burst out in laughter. In those moments I am reminded that life is not that bad. I will tell her my problem and she will say, "Oh honey...it WILL get better"

Today I asked her what was her favorite thing to do during her day. She said, " nothing at all". (and then she laughed..ha)
She was being funny of course, but the beauty in that statement is that she has lived long enough to know that true contentment comes when we are still.
I am not saying that we should be lazy....
But we have to strive for moments of stillness and rest. 
At 87 her joy is not found in anything materialistic. She could go anywhere or do anything, but her joy comes from the memories with family that were created a long time ago.

She tells me all the time that...
"Wealth can come and go...
Health can come and go...
but having someone in your life to love and treasure will be something that nobody can take away"

There is nothing in this world that we can take with us when we die. So while you are here spend time loving, caring and creating memories that will leave lasting imprints on the hearts and minds of those you leave behind.
Love is a gift...don't take it for granted

Oh how He loves you and me!

1 comment:

  1. i think you must have been thinking of me when u wrote this. ;) perfect!

    ReplyDelete